Nikki and Layla Lloyd are the founders of Copper Joes. They are a mother and daughter team with a wealth of knowledge thanks to their cafe and catering backgrounds. Nikki is also known as the Winchester Cakeologist, baking all the cakes sold in-store. They take great pride in their business and therefore only partner with the best companies and suppliers.
All in the name
We are always asked "where does the name Copper Joes come from?". Here is the history behind it:
Copper Joe has taken its name from history - in 1913 Josephus Daniels was appointed secretary of the Navy. The story states that on 1st June 1914, Secretary Joe issued General Order 99, this prohibited alcohol aboard naval vessels. From this point on, the strongest drink allowed on naval ships has been coffee. The annoyed soldiers unhappy about the changes called the coffee ‘a cup of joe’ out of anger.
The 'Copper' element was added due to our location. Being housed in the AGC Museum, we have a strong connection with the Military Police (Coppers).
Understanding the importance of community within Winchester, Nikki and Layla are keen to credit partners that have helped them create and build their dream business: